Monday, 3 June 2013

Todays blessing

windy days are my blessing for today. I love windy days here in Jordan when you can hear the whistle of the breeze through the walls of your home and washing dries faster than ever. When the tall thin trees in my garden bend and wave as though dancing and playing together. Windy days always make me feel happy to be watching the dust fly by from the comfort of my home. When its is windy in Jordan its a wonderful thing as it clears the air which otherwise would be heavy and hot during the summer. Whistling winds also remind me of the many ghost stories I have heard and makes me want to revisit Jane Eyre or The Woman in White again but this time with an external soundtrack to boot.

I remember a wonderful scene from one of my all time favorite movies "The English Patient" in which the hero ( Count Almachi- think that's how you write it) is sitting in an old 1940s car with Catharine ( the heroin) waiting for a huge sandstorm to subside in the middle of the North African dessert. There is the most amazing dialog in which the count tells the history of winds throughout the middle east and there is such an electric tension between the characters it gives me goose bumps every time I watch it. I love the kind of romance stories which go beyond the cookie cutter girl meets boy , boy hurts girl story lines so often in the cinema now. I like to be challenged a bit when I watch a film and be left with the possibility for a great conversation based on all the details which were suggested but not reveled.

No comments: